Your Schoolwear Bag
{[{}]} product products
Your schoolwear bag is currently empty.
{[{ item.product_title }]}
{[{ item.variant_title }]}
{[{ item.price }]}
{[{ item.original_price }]}
{[{ }]}
RAM Leisure Wrexham

Are you entitled to help with your school uniform costs?

The school uniform grant is a scheme set up by the Government to help support parents with the cost of buying new school uniforms for their children.
It is offered to families on low incomes to help them manage their budget when they need to prepare their children for a new year at school.
A School Uniform Grant could get you up to £200 off the bill for the new academic year and this never has to be paid back.

School Uniform Picture

The Education Act 1980

As part of the Education Act 1980, you may be entitled to certain types of financial help, depending on your financial circumstances.
Some local councils do provide help with the cost of school clothing but this is not a statutory duty. Only households earning less than £16,190 a year can claim.
How much you can claim depends on where you live, so check with your council’s website for more information.
Regrettably, If your child attends an Academy, you won't qualify as these schools are independent but you could approach the school directly for help.
First step, Check if your local council provides help with the cost of school uniform, including coats, shoes and sports kit including footwear.
Then, If your council does not offer help, ask your child’s school directly as they sometimes have a fund for such situations.

When should I apply?

Generally, applications can only be made between 30 June and 30 September - however it's worth double checking these dates with your local authority as they have the discretion to change these dates.
In Wrexham the closing date for applications in 2020 is December 31.

To claim the grant, you must receive one of these benefits:

Income support Job seeker's allowance (income based)
Child tax credit - provided you are not entitled to working tax credit
Employment Support allowance (ESA)
State pension - this benefit must be your sole source of income
Support under Part IV of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
Universal Credit

Get Help and Information Nationwide
Get Help and Information in Wrexham

There may be other sources of help supplementary to those mentioned above so please don’t give up.

We hope this page was helpful.

This page was last updated on 11/07/2021