WHAT ARE COOKIES AND HOW DO THEY WORK?
A cookie is a text file containing information that can be remembered by a web browser between pages. When an individual uses a web browser to access the internet their browser can create cookies which are stored on the user's computer. Cookies are not programs and therefore cannot contain viruses or other malicious software. They are purely a string of text and numbers.
There are two main types of cookies - session cookies and persistent cookies.
Session cookies only last during a single visit. When a user closes their web browser the session cookie information is automatically removed from their computer. The RAM Leisure website uses session cookies for two purposes:
- Two session cookies are set that temporarily store a unique identifier for each visitor to the website. This identifier is a random series of letters and numbers and doesn't contain any personal or identifiable information. It is used to help count the number of visitors to the RAM Leisure website.
- Two cookies are set by the computer systems that run the RAM Leisure website. These cookies are used as part of the process of sending web pages to the user's web browser and are essential - no website using Microsoft technology will work without these cookies.
Persistent cookies are stored by the user's web browser even when the web browser has been closed, so that the next time a user goes back to the website that originally set the cookie, the web site can read information back from the cookie.
Persistent cookies have an expiry date which controls when they are automatically deleted. This can be anything from a few minutes to several years.
RAM LEISURE USE PERSISTENT COOKIES FOR THE FOLLOWING PURPOSES:
- Maxymiser is a system used by websites to provide personalised product recommendations to customers. Maxymiser record information about what products a user has viewed or purchased and use that information to provide recommendations about what other products a customer may be interested in purchasing.
- RAM Leisure use their own cookies to remember which items a customer has put into their basket. By using a persistent cookie for this, a customer can close their web browser and come back to the RAM Leisure website subsequently and still be able to access items that had been put into their shopping basket on a previous visit. This cookie is essential for the functioning of the RAM Leisure website as without it customers would be unable to place items into the shopping basket. The cookie lasts for 1 year but is cleared once an order has been placed.
- RAM Leisure also use a cookie to remember a user's website preferences such as preferred language, currency and delivery country. The first time a customer visits the RAM Leisure website they are asked to confirm this information which is then stored in a cookie set to last for 1 year. Without this cookie the customer would have to re-enter their preferences every time they visit the website.
- A number of persistent cookies are also set by the computers that run the RAM Leisure website. These cookies are solely used to record technical information necessary for our web servers to work properly. No personally identifiable information in stored in these cookies.
- All cookies used by RAM Leisure are 'first party' cookies. This means that any cookie set on the RAM Leisure website can only be read back from the RAM Leisure website. No other website is able to read or access information from any cookie set by the RAM Leisure website. We do not use 'third party' cookies which would permit this sort of behaviour by other websites.
CONTROLLING OR DELETING COOKIES
Please remember that if you delete or restrict cookies from the RAM Leisure website you may not be able to experience the full benefit of some of the features and services the website has to offer.